Sunday, October 10, 2010

80th Birthday



Tom called to ask me to dinner and I told him that if Jim didn't get into town I needed to take the 45+ to dinner in the ward.  He told me no way that he was going to take me.  I thought that it was strange that he was so adamant about it.  He always knows you have obligations to the ladies in the ward as they can't drive.  But anyway I had made arrangements for Donna Tidwell to go with Bly Rasmussen if she was going as she was the only one that drives.  I didn't invite the others.  Well we got to the Church Office building and parked and Tom changed his clothes and he said we were going to go to the Garden Room.  I said okay that was nice.  When we got to the 13th floor he made a right turn instead of the left to the Garden Room.  I remarked that I thought we were going to the Garden Room but he said it was too crowded.  But I said, the Roof is very expensive.  Well we went in and there was a long table up high and Tom lead us there.  I thought it must be crowded to put us with the other people up there.  Lo and behold I went up the stairs and I noticed the kids there including Dan and Eloana and I exclaimed.  Dan and Eloana and then I looked down the table and at the other end was Vivian and Dale.  What a great surprise to see that they had all come such a long distance to be there.  The boys worked long and hard to put together this surprise.  Jewel is to ill to travel that far but was invited.  We had a great meal and it is always very elete there.  Then they gave me a USB Cassette Archer so I can record the cassettes onto CD's because of the old ones I have.  Then they also got me  a grass skirt, lei, ukelia, and coconut bra so I can go to Hawaii outfitted.  We had a lot of laughs and Dale took good pictures.  They took pictures of us all except JIm and Becky who could not come.  What a great night and surprise.  WOW!!
September 18. Saturday.  Cleaned the house a little before everyone came to visit.  First comes Dan and family.  Rob and Sarah and family come and set up all the decorations.  Sarah and Eloana worked hard to get lanterns in the tree and balloons on the fence and a banner to say Happy Birthday.  Tom and Jim came with addition tables and chairs and Sarah covered them with table cloths and beautiful flowers on each table.  They had two big decorated cakes, ice cream and a beautiful water container.  They also took my childhood pictures and put them into frames to decorate the food table.  All I did was sit and enjoy.  David comes and they all rake up the crabapples and David trims the hedge.  Later Mike comes with fresh melon to give to the tables.  Many came and it was great.  From the pool came Phyllis, Sally, Geri, Janet and her daughter, Cecilia, Ursula, Johnnie, Ron and Cherlyn.  They brought a quilt that Ardell had made and it was signed by the ladies at the pool.  The Littles and Floriene, Max, Dona, LeRoy from the ward.  Lots of gifts and cards.  Only  sad part of the occasion was that the invitation to Marven and Arthella got lost and she was wondering how come all were coming until Marlene was seen so then she called Sharon and asked what time she was invited and Sharon had forgotten it until the phone call and so then they came.  But by that time they were all leaving.  We never could get a picture for all the boys together at the same time because each of the boys had other things that they had to do on the same day.  Kendra. Debbie and Ann could not come because of other things.  Most of the grandchildren came and they never need to come but they all came and gave me a bit hug.  Pollyanna gave me a wall hanging that she has been making for a long time.  What a wonderful day.  After they all went home, I came in the house and found two of Vivian and Dale's grandchildren were here so we talked for awhile and then played Slide 5.  Dale went to Little Caesar's for pizza and to Smith's for drinks.  He came back and said that it was a scary place to go.  There were security guards in both stores and he said I should not shop in Smith's because it was so dirty.  This from a retired Lt. Colonel in the Marines.  We had a good time and both families stayed here this night. 

No comments:

Post a Comment